Single parenthood, previously predominant among minorities and disadvantaged women, is now the “new norm” in the U.S. A 2022 U.S. Census Bureau report shows that single moms headed about 80% of the 11 million single-parent families with children under the age of 18.
Despite being the new norm, a third of single mothers are unemployed for the entire year and lack access to a personal vehicle. Fortunately, there are non-profit organizations and charities that help single moms get a car. Read the article below to learn more.
Why Do Single Mothers Need A Personal Vehicle
Considering single mothers’ responsibilities, personal mobility and reliable transportation are essential.
- The household’s budget is heavily dependent on its monthly income. Without partners, single mothers are forced to rely on their own salaries to provide for their families. Given this, they must take up multiple part-time jobs at different locations without transportation assistance. Having a personal automobile can help single moms reach their work easier and faster.
- Driving to several key locations. With a limited budget, single-mother households are unable to afford pickup services. Hence, they are responsible for accompanying their kids to school, picking up groceries, and driving to healthcare institutions.
- Emergency situations. Single moms do not have the luxury of dividing responsibilities between two people during an emergency, as married couples do. Having a personal vehicle can be life-saving during an urgent crisis.
Charities And Non-Profit Organizations That Help Single Moms Get A Car
Several charities and non-profit organizations provide financial assistance to single mothers and help them acquire a free car or purchase a brand-new vehicle at a discounted price. By offering reliable and affordable transportation, these initiatives help low-income single-parent families become more self-sufficient.
FreeCharityCars.org is the car donation division of 1-800-Charity Cars, a non-profit organization that receives secondhand vehicles and donates them to those without personal automobiles. The organization is well known for its charitable work and has been featured on numerous TV shows. Moreover, FreeCharityCars.org has successfully donated 9,000 light passenger vehicles to low-income families across the country.
Applicants interested in receiving a free vehicle from Free Charity Cars can do so by filling out the vehicle request form on their website, which requires the following:
- U.S. citizen or eligible immigrant status residing in the country
- 18 years old and above
- A valid driver’s license
- Gross income must not exceed the 200% federal poverty level
- Capable of paying for auto insurance, maintenance, tags, and repairs.
CarsForMoms.org is a charitable organization giving free cars to low-income households, specifically for single mothers. This initiative is designed to help single moms have access to affordable and reliable transportation services. As of 2022, the organization has donated 233,266 vehicles to qualified applicants.
In addition to donating used vehicles, CarsForMoms.org also offers public transit vouchers, free rides, gas coupons, and free auto repair services.
CarsForMoms.org employs a simple application process and has few eligibility requirements. However, to receive a free car, single-parent applicants must submit their stores through the organization’s website to receive a free car. This will then be nominated and evaluated to determine whether you qualify for a free vehicle.
Wheels From The Heart
Having a personal vehicle is one of the most important steps for single mothers to achieve financial independence. However, the majority of single moms and their families have difficulty finding reliable and low-cost transportation.
To address this problem, Wheels From The Heart offers dependable used cars to single mothers with kids and other car assistance benefits such as discounted auto repairs and gas vouchers.
You can apply for a free vehicle or be nominated by an acquaintance using the online contact form on their website. Once you are selected, you will then be contacted by a local charity partner to confirm your eligibility for the car donation and verify your personal information.
Vehicles For Change
More than 7,500 automobiles have been donated by Vehicles For Change to financially struggling individuals in Virginia and Maryland since 1999.
Vehicles For Change does not give away vehicles free of charge. Instead, the GuideStar-verified charity sells the cars they receive from public donations for roughly $700 per unit to single mothers and low-income households. Qualified applicants are also offered a low-interest auto loan for 12 months, which helps them improve their credit scores.
To qualify for this program, you must meet the following requirements:
- A resident of Virginia or Maryland
- Have a valid driver’s license
- No felony records of substance abuse
- Must have kids if you are under 25 years old
- Does not currently own a vehicle
If you are a single mother in need of a personal vehicle, you can contact any of these charities that help single moms get a car. You can also check out this article from Help Choices about organizations that give away free air conditioners.